top of page

Shefford sail past Whitworth and gain promotion to Step 5 - Shefford Town & Campton 4-1 Whitworth FC

It was the SSML Division one play-off final in Shefford as they hosted Wellingborough Whitworth. Shefford Town & Campton beat Winslow United 0-2 away whereas Wellingborough Whitworth beat Ampthill Town 2-3 in a cracking game. This game was always going to be a great one.

It was a lively start for both teams. Not much happened in the first half but Shefford were the better of the two sides. Shefford hit the post, and had a couple chances through Scott Metcalfe and Henry Snee but none went in. The first half finished 0-0.

The second half was much better. Shefford took the lead quickly after a great through ball to Scott Metcalfe. He took the ball around the goalkeeper and placed the ball into the empty net to give Shefford a much needed lead. This goal seemed to spring the game into life. Shefford soon doubled their lead thanks to striker Henry Snee. A ball across the box which Wellingborough Whitworth failed to clear and Henry Snee got the touch and hit it past the goalkeeper to give Shefford a vital 2-0 advantage. This was huge but it didn't last very long. Wellingborough Whitworth were attacking down the right wing and won a penalty. Much to Shefford protests the penalty stood. Kobi Bivens stepped up to take it and struck it very well into the bottom left corner past Reece Lewis getting Wellingborough Whitworth back into the game. Shefford responded well and dealt with the Wellingborough Whitworth momentum. Shefford soon scored a third thanks to Sam King. He cut in from the left wing and blasted the ball past the goalkeeper and surely stopped any chance of a Wellingborough Whitworth comeback. Shefford didn't stop there as they went and got a 4th with a few minutes to go. There was an altercation inside the Wellingborough Whitworth box between the Wellinborough Whitworth defender and Shefford attacker. Their goalkeeper Lee Baxter pushed the Shefford forward in the head and a penalty was awarded. Lee Baxter was also given his marching orders after he received a red card for his actions causing an outfield player to go in goal for the duration of the match. Ryan Lewis took the penalty for Shefford and comfortably slotted the ball past the goalkeeper to make it 4-1.

The full time score was 4-1 to Shefford Town & Campton meaning they gain promotion to Step 5. What a great season for the Bluemen and the best of luck to them in Step 5!

115 views0 comments


Post: Blog2 Post
bottom of page