top of page

Shefford advance after spirited win against Southend - Shefford Town & Campton 3-2 Southend Manor

A huge occasion at Shefford Sports Club as Shefford Town & Campton face Southend Manor in a FA Cup replay. The two sides drew 1-1 in the first game as Southend Manor scored a late equaliser.

The game began and Southend were on top. They had the better chances and it wasn't long until they had an opener. This was after a corner was whipped in to the back post to where Mitch Arthur was lurking and his shot rebounded in off the crossbar to put the away side ahead.

After a poor start, Shefford responded well and started piling pressure on the Southend Manor defence. There was a crowd of 349 there on the night, a great attendance for Shefford to help steer them to victory.

Shefford did get an equaliser after a fantastic goal from Henry Snee. He received the ball inside the Shefford half and ran down the left wing. He ran past the defender and ran inside before his brilliant finish put Shefford back level. He celebrated in style with the rest of the team.

Sam Galatis was in goal for Shefford after he had been called in following the injuries of Reece Lewis and Billy Barnes.

Southend Manor had a massive penalty shout when the winger's crossed was blocked by the hand of the Shefford defender. The referee deemed this ball to hand and a corner was given. The first half finished 1-1.

Shefford took the lead at the start of the second half thanks to youngster Scott Metcalfe. A great ball through by Henry Snee to Scott Metcalfe who was running in clean through on goal. He ran past the defender and finished very well to put Shefford ahead.

Southend Manor were knocking on the door to get back in it but Shefford kept them out. Despite all this pressure, Shefford took the lead.

It was after a poor error from the Southend goalkeeper who received the ball from a throw in and passed it straight to Charlie Thake who rolled it into the empty net to give Shefford a very important two-goal cushion.

Southend Manor were rattled by this and looked out of the tie. They won a very soft penalty in the closing stages of the game and then the referee proceeded to book the wrong player. The Southend Manor player took and fired it past Sam Galatis.

Southend Manor were then reduced to ten men after a heavy challenge. The man was sent off and the Shefford took their time taking the free kick. Shefford held on and won 3-2.

A massive win for the bluemen as they will now face Dunstable Town in the next round. A brilliant win for the club!

21 views0 comments


Post: Blog2 Post
bottom of page