top of page

Last minute scenes as Bedford take huge step towards the title - Welwyn Garden City 1-2 Bedford Town

Updated: Apr 10, 2022

This game is a huge game for both sides as Bedford are closing in on the title and Welwyn Garden City are trying to confirm a play-off spot. Bedford had one eye in Ware as they were hoping for a Berkhamsted slip up against tough opponents Ware. A game of big meaning was to follow.

The game began with Bedford on top and they earned a few early corners. They failed to make any big chances from these which is unusual as corners are normally their biggest threat. They did score from a corner a few minutes afterwards but Charley Sanders' goal was ruled out for a foul.

It was a feisty affair as there were lots of bookings for both teams. Welwyn Garden City did take the lead in the 23rd minute after a free kick is whipped in and Matt Ball got a flick on it and guides it past Alex Street to give Welwyn Garden City an unexpected lead. Welwyn soon resorted to time-wasting which resulted in multiple silly bookings which soon proved to be costly.

On the brink of half time Bedford Town were awarded a penalty after a handball from a Welwyn Garden City defender. Rene Howe who doesn't normally miss stepped up to take but his effort was saved by the Welwyn Garden City goalkeeper to delay him hitting 30 goals for the season. The first half finished 1-0 to Welwyn Garden City.

The second half started well for Bedford with Rene Howe hitting the post early on. Bedford kept going and were soon given something to show for their efforts. Rene Howe finally got the equalising goal for Bedford after some nice work with fellow striker Connor Tomlinson. A muddle up at the back lead to the ball fall in Rene Howe's path for him to slot in his 30th goal of the season. Bedford now had the momentum to push for a winner.

They immediately suffered another setback as they were reduced to 10 men. Charley Sanders was shown a red card after what appeared to be a bit of a scuffle waiting for a corner and he was given his marching orders much to Bedford protests.

Bedford didn't give up despite only having 10 men and were still searching for a winner. In the middle of injury time justice finally prevailed as Bedford got a very late winner. Dan Walker scored the goal and what a goal it was! He was played through by Hugh Alban Jones and he chipped the Welwyn Garden City goalkeeper from fairly far out to earn a massive and deserved 3 points for Bedford. To add to this David Keenleyside was sent off for Welwyn Garden City. Bedford held out and took another huge step towards the title.

This win is probably one of the biggest wins of the season for Bedford and what a way to do it. Only had ten men and had a goal disallowed and to do it in the fashion they did was remarkable. Berkhamsted also dropped 2 big points at Ware in a thrilling 3-3 draw but they were lucky to come away with any points at all thanks to a late equaliser.

24 views0 comments


Post: Blog2 Post
bottom of page