top of page

Hammer time for Shefford as they batter Biggleswade - Biggleswade United 2-4 Shefford Town & Campton

Shefford Town & Campton made the short journey to Second Meadow to face Biggleswade United in their third fixture of the Spartan South Midlands Premier Division.

The game got off to a fiery start but Biggleswade United probably dominated the possession. Biggleswade came close on a few occasions early on but Shefford defended well and nothing came of it.

Shefford had a good chance from a free kick but Henry Snee's effort was blocked by the wall. Shefford got very close to scoring an opener again after some great footwork on the left flank by Sam King but his low effort was cleared off of the line by a Biggleswade defender.

Shefford then took the lead from the following corner. Sam King whipped a great ball to the back post where Henry Snee was there to poke it in from close range to put Shefford 0-1 up. This was a deserved goal as Shefford had been knocking on the door.

Shefford kept the pressure up and were pushing for a second goal. It wasn't long until Shefford had scored a second. Shefford won a free kick in a good position. Ryan Lewis took it and he hit it over the wall and into the side netting to give Shefford the vital second goal.

Just before the end of the first half, Biggleswade got one back. It was after a slip from a Shefford player it meant that the Biggleswade striker ran forwards and smashed the ball into the top right corner from close range to put Biggleswade back in the game. The first half finished 1-2.

The second half started and Shefford were on top. About five minutes into the second half, Shefford were 1-3 up. This came from a great run by Scott Metcalfe but his shot rebounded off of the post over to Mitch Foley. He crossed it in to Dan Hammer who's header flew into the back of the net to restore Shefford's two goal cushion. This proved to be a very important goal.

Only ten minutes later, Biggleswade got one back. This was thanks to an attack down the right wing by Biggleswade and the cross in was brilliantly volleyed in by the Biggleswade striker to get his second of the game and put Biggleswade right back in the game. Biggleswade were pushing for an equaliser but nothing ever came from it.

Shefford then sealed the deal thanks to substitute Charlie Thake. A great pass from Sam King went to Ash Ingham and he got the ball to Charlie Thake. It was touched down very well by Thake and then after some great footwork he slotted it past the Biggleswade goalkeeper to kill the game off.

Just as soon as the game went into injury time, there was a floodlight failure. Slowly, they turned back on after about fifteen minutes. Shefford held on and won the game 2-4.

A great win for Shefford to make it 9/9 points so far this season. Credit to the Biggleswade number five who really kept the score down for Biggleswade. Well done to everyone at Shefford on the win, only four more to go for Hammer!

117 views0 comments


Post: Blog2 Post
bottom of page