top of page

Didcot stunner seals the win for the away side - Biggleswade FC 1-2 Didcot Town

A mid-table clash between Biggleswade FC and Didcot Town awaited at the Eyrie. Biggleswade FC began the day in 9th place and still had a decent chance of sneaking a play-off spot but needed a win today to do so. Didcot started the day in 13th and really have nothing too much to play for.

It was a cagey start to the game for both teams as they were using the long ball more than either side would have liked to. There were some corners for both teams but nothing came from the game.

The game sparked into life in the 23rd minute when Didcot took the lead. It was a loose ball over the top and the Biggleswade defence failed to clear as the ball fell to George Jeacock who hammered the ball past Dan Green in goal for Biggleswade to give Didcot the advantage. Didcot came close again after Joe Green hit the crossbar after heading a corner goal bound but nothing came from it.

Biggleswade were soon level as they responded very well to lots of Didcot pressure. The goal came after some nice work to get the ball into a decent area from Lawrie Marsh which lead to George Bailey firing a shot in but it was well save by Leigh Bedwell. The rebound fortunately fell to Lee Northfield who smashed it into the roof of the net to level things up for the home side. Biggleswade came close to leading after a nice ball across the box fell to Reiss Oteng who headed the ball past the post but he was offside. At half time it was 1-1.

The second half started slowly for Biggleswade as they failed to get a foothold on the game. They were soon punished for this as Didcot re-took their lead. Josh Hedges was the scorer for Didcot Town as he received the ball from a long kick and brilliantly volleyed it in off of the post scoring an absolute stunner. This goal provided a big dent in Biggleswade's play-off hopes.

Biggleswade were awarded a penalty in the 80th minute after a cross was blocked by the hand of a Didcot defender. Alexander Marsh stepped up for Biggleswade and he saw his soft penalty easily saved by Didcot goalkeeper Leigh Bedwell. A limp effort from the penalty spot proved to cost Biggleswade the game as the game finished in a 1-2 triumph for Didcot.

This now means Biggleswade remain in 9th but they are now 11 points off of 5th place meaning they cannot get play-offs and will be spending another season in the division. Didcot Town now move up to 12th as they leapfrog Waltham Abbey.

51 views0 comments


Post: Blog2 Post
bottom of page